Tips for harvesting Aspen:
- GET A PERMIT! You can get them at any Forest Service Station and they are about $5 for 1/2 cord.
- BRING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER! This is required by law.
- Make sure your chainsaw has a spark arrestor, also required by law.
- Bring a buddy and a cell phone. Never go alone in case something were to happen.
- Only take STANDING DEAD trees. If they are laying on the ground, the bugs and rot have gotten to it and it isn't worth your time.
- When you find a tree that is dead, tap on it with a hard object like a hammer. If it sounds solid, it is full of water and also not worth your time. If is sounds hollow, the bugs and rot have gotten to it and it isn't worth harvesting. If it sounds dry, and you can hear the sound echo through the tree, then it is good.
- If you cut down the right trees, you shouldn't even have to seal the ends. It is dry and ready to work.
- Be safe, have fun, and bring a camera so you to can capture the amazing views up there!
- If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com